Holiday season should be a fun and joyous time, but it can be really stressful when trying to stay healthy, especially with all of the delicious Thanksgiving pies and holiday cookies around! Here are our favorite tips for how to enjoy the holidays in a healthy way:
- Keep tempting foods out of sight. It’s one thing to enjoy holiday treats at parties or socials, but don’t leave them out around your home. The saying “out of sight, out of mind” goes both ways. If you have treats in front of you all the time, you’ll constantly be thinking about sneaking a bite instead of grabbing a healthy snack.
- Pace yourself at meals. When socializing, sometimes we forget to eat mindfully. A simple trick is to put your fork down in between bites so that you don’t eat too quickly.
- Don’t drink your calories. Holiday spirits are fun but remember that alcohol tends to carry lots of empty calories, and is an appetite stimulant. Limit yourself to 1 to 2 drinks when socializing if possible and choose lower calorie drink options.
- Don’t quit your exercise regimen. Holiday season is when many simply stop exercising because the new year is near and they feel like they can just start back up in January. Remember, Summer bodies are built in the Winter. Exercising will also act as a buffer with those extra calories you may be consuming at plentiful holiday meals.
- Forget the stretchy pants. The “Oh, I’ll just wear this flowy dress so that when I over consume the Thanksgiving stuffing, it won’t be obvious and I won’t be in pain because my pants are too tight” attitude just encourages you to eat more than your body needs or even wants. Tight fitting clothes help remind you when you’re full.
- Treat Yourself! This may be counterintuitive but don’t deny yourself that holiday cookie or a piece of Grandma’s Famous Pumpkin Pie. Moderation is key and being too strict may result in binging later on.
We hope you found these tips helpful and that you have a stress free holiday season!