Getting to sleep with a stuffy nose is already hard, and getting quality sleep with a stuffy nose is even more difficult.
Here are some tips to help you get a good night’s sleep while battling allergies or a cold:
- Take an antihistamine before bed. Bonus points if you take an antihistamine with drowsiness listed as a side effect, such as Benadryl.
- Prop up your head. Propping your head will help relieve congestion by decreasing the blood flow pooling in the nose.
- Avoid alcohol before bed. Even one glass of wine before bed may cause the feeling of dehydration, which can worsen sinus pain.
- Cut off caffeine by 2pm. Caffeine not only is stimulant so it will keep you awake, but it can also lead to dehydration, which can make sinus pain and congestion worse.
- Use saline nasal spray or a Neti pot before bed. This will keep your nasal passages moist, allowing you to breathe easier. You may also want to consider using a humidifier at night.
- Know when to seek out medical attention. If you have been suffering from severe congestion or sinus pain for more than a week, you may have a sinus infection. Consult a medical professional for treatment.