If you are experiencing any of the following symptoms, get tested for the flu as soon as possible. In many cases, the length and severity of flu symptoms can be reduced through use of Tamiflu when within the first 48 hours of symptom onset.
- Weakness or tiredness – If you are experiencing this symptom, be sure to limit activities and get plenty of fluids and rest.
- Body Aches and/or chills- If you are experiencing body aches, over the counter pain medication such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen may help. If you are experiencing chills, taking a hot bath or wrap yourself up in a warm blanket to raise your body temperature.
- Cough- Cough drops and herbal teas may help to ease a dry cough by keeping throat tissue moist.
- Sore Throat- Check out our blog on Natural Remedies to Ease a Sore Throat for ways to combat this symptom.
- A fever, especially one over 100.4˚F- Over the counter medication such as acetaminophen or ibuprofen are effective fever reducers.
- Gastrointestinal problems such as diarrhea, vomiting, and/or stomach pain- In the case of gastrointestinal problems, you need to make sure you are replenishing fluids to prevent dehydration. Water, sports drinks, and herbal teas are all good go-tos.
Flu symptoms typically last for 5-7 days.
If you start experiencing any of the following, seek medical care immediately:
- Chest pain
- Difficult breathing
- Bluish skin and lips
- Severe dehydration
- High fever
- Worsening Cough
*Blog adapted from: https://www.healthline.com/health/cold-flu/early-flu-symptoms#fatigue